Another point of contrast between the two passages is the level of description that Mr. Utterson goes into for each person. While Hyde is given very few and very vague words, Jekyll can be imagined by the reader in vivid details. I feel this difference is highlighted on purpose, as it is crucial to the main plot twist of the story. As I went to go see the musical two years ago, I know the plot twist waiting to happen. SPOILER ALERT: The discrepancy in the level of description between these two characters allows for the reader to picture the characters as two separate people in their imaginations, when in reality these two characters are the same person. If Mr. Utterson had gone into an intense, sharp depiction of both characters, some readers may have earlier picked up on the plot twist of the novella.
Dr. Jekyll |
Mr. Hyde
|
What have I done?
| |
What have I made?
| |
How did this happen?
|
How did this happen?
|
I have been released
| |
Jekyll has been hiding me for fear of his reputation
| |
One day I won’t be able to hide him anymore
|
One day he won’t be able to hide me anymore
|
I try to fight but he always wins
| |
Hyde has power over me
| |
If man is half good and half bad why is bad winning?
|
If man is half good and half bad why is bad winning?
|
Bad is winning because it is human nature to be bad
| |
Human nature is mean, unkind, selfish
| |
When human nature prevails so does evil
|
When human nature prevails so does evil
|
My weapons are rocks, his are nuclear bombs
| |
He is impossible to stop, I must try to appease him
| |
I know now he will win
|
I know now I will win
|
Bye bye Dr. Jekyll
| |
Forever we will be Mr. Hyde
|
My intended purpose of this poem was to highlight a few major themes from the novella. One of these is the struggle between Jekyll and Hyde, evident through the idea presented that Hyde won something. In addition I attempted to display that human nature is inherently evil, yet can be changed by the individual for appearances sake. I want the audience to read this poem and better understand the conflict between Jekyll and Hyde, and how that represents good versus evil.
I really like how you picked up on the idea of a distinct yet unidentifiable aura of the two characters, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I do not appreciate your spoiler but agree that the descriptions allow the opportunity to see two different men when it is truly an outward display of the inner conflict of man: good vs. evil. In addition, I also enjoyed your poem as the differing tones of each character were very distinct even in the lines that they shared.
ReplyDeleteNice job! I loved seeing a good eye for literary terms and devices and then the analysis you provided in the comparison of what you uncovered.
ReplyDeleteGreat poem!