Saturday, December 3, 2016

Fate vs Chance vs Shakespeare

Do you believe events in your life have been guided by fate or chance? Why or why not? Based on the text, what do you think Shakespeare's attitude was towards fate? Does Macbeth have any choice in his actions or was everything predetermined? Use examples from the text as your support.

Humans like to believe that their future lies in their own hands. The idea of overcoming odds, working hard to surmount challenging circumstances, is very present in our modern world. Yet it can be argued that this mentally has developed alongside the rise of secularism. A core belief of Christianity, the most common religion in the western world since long before Shakespeare's time, is that God has ultimate control of an individuals future. This conflicts with free will, as an individual cannot have free will if their future is predetermined. Simply, this is the question stated in the prompt: is an individuals life controlled by fate or chance?
Personally I have always lived believing I had control over my life. This subconscious belief might have been built through a combination of my secular beliefs and my parent's influence on me. The first time I was directly questioned about this topic was in ninth grade. I remember reasoning with myself that I had free will. My example was that, if I wanted, I could run out of the classroom into the middle of the road or I could just stay in my seat. How could that be predetermined? As most childhood beliefs are upheld, I still believe the events in my life have been guided rather by free will than chance. Though I now understand that no matter what example I come up with it will not be able to disprove people who believe our lives are guided by fate, I have developed my personal reasons for believing the opposite. Most of these stem from my personal religious beliefs, which can be summarized well as previously stated, secular.
As I continue I will be looking at the question through a religious lens, though I realize that many people who believe in fate controlling their lives do not necessarily hold religious beliefs.
Based not only on the text but also the time period in which Shakespeare lived, I believe Shakespeare believed events in an individuals life were guided by fate. As I mentioned earlier, religion in general was more present during Shakespeare's lifetime. Hence, the idea of an individual's fate being predetermined was a societal norm during that time. Even though his personal religious belief are still a topic of debate between scholars, a society that believed in fate must have rubbed off on a young Shakespeare. This theory is further supported by Macbeth, in which the power of fate controls most if not all events in the novel. An example of this can be seen in the rising action of the novel, when Duncan is killed by Macbeth, his sons run away, and Macbeth is consequently left as King. Macbeth becoming King is exactly what the Witches claimed would happen in the beginning of the play. This speaks to Shakespeare's belief in fate because ultimately every aspect of the Witches claim comes true. (I'm taking a guess about that though because we have yet to finish the book but based on what's happened I'm going with that assumption.) In what has happened so far in the novel, Macbeth has been given the illusion of choice. This can be seen when Macbeth was faced with the choice to continue to try to maintain the role of King or to try to fix his mistakes. Yet, I believe Shakespeare is utilizing Macbeth to showcase a theme of the play, that events in an individuals life is controlled by fate. In that example, I believe Macbeth has been changed by his actions too much to revert back to his previous self no matter whether someone asked him if he wanted to or not. Ultimately I believe Shakespeare believed in fate over free will, and this is displayed in the play through how Macbeth's every supposed "choice" only leads back to original prophecy presented by the Witches.

2 comments:

  1. Giiiirrrlll, this blog post is straight fire ;) I think your religious perspective on this question is cool and your usage of an anecdote is really unique and adds a nice touch to the post. It's really interesting how you acquired this perspective and the ideas behind it. While I don't agree that we have complete free will, I don't necessarily agree that we have a fate either. No one will ever really know which one is correct, and because of that I don't think we can be completely positive about one or the other. But I definitely do agree with your analysis of fate vs. free will in Macbeth, and I do think Shakespeare's perspective on the topic is cool to hear. Sick job bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you incorporated religion into your personal answer and decided to look at the second answer through a religous lense. It is interesting how you added that Christianity and fate often go hand-in-hand, which leads me to beieve that one's religion and their stance on fate vs free will most likely corrolate. Now I am wondering where people of other religions stand on this debate. Your post was thought provoking and I enjoyed reading it! Yay Macie!

    ReplyDelete